How do I append static vtf files using Trace File Manager ?|
Suppose we have 2 static trace files; one is called AugSept.vtf and the other is called OctNov.vtf, and each contains the respective months' data. Both files have been created from the same session. We would like to append AugSept.vtf to OctNov.vtf so we can create a file holding vtf data for Aug, Sept, Oct and Nov. |
1. To start off ...
a. AugSept.vtf will eventually be used to hold the additional data for the file OctNov.vtf as well as the existing data in AugSept.vtf However this is subject to AugSept.vtf having the spare capacity.
b. If this is not the case then an empty vtf is created to hold both sets of data for the 2 files – the following paragraphs describe how this is done. Hence AugSept.vtf must be checked for its capacity to take information before proceeding with the append function.
2. To do this, select the TF icon from the left on the EA/V toolbar (Trace File dialog box) select the trace file that data is being copied into; i.e., in the example - AugSept.vtf - and click Info. This will show the percentage of the file used. If AugSept.vtf is full or near full then another large empty vtf file will have to be added to the to take both the data from OctNov.vtf. and AugSept.vtf. If there is plenty of room in the trace file AugSept.vtf then instructions from paragraph 8 can be followed.
3. Create an empty vtf by using Trace File Manager. Format, Summarize By must be the same as AugSept.vtf. The datablocks should be increased to 72000 to increase the file's capacity. Save As must be used to name the new vtf file which we will call AugSeptOctNov.vtf.
4. TFM must then be used to Append AugSept.vtf to AugSeptOctNov.vtf. Trace File Manager | Trace File to Append would be used to browse to AugSept.vtf The Time entry - can be used to declare what time period is required. Append to / Save As would be used to select AugSeptOctNov.vtf. When Append is executed, the data from AugSept.vtf will be added to the file declared in Append to / Save As; i.e., in this example AugSeptOctNov.vtf. Clear any filters selected then Execute the append. The data from August and September now reside in AugSepOctNov.vtf.
5. To put the data from OctNov into AugSepOctNov.vtf, select Trace File Manager | Trace File to Append browse to OctNov.vtf.
6. Append to / Save As would be used to select AugSeptOctNov.vtf. When the Append is executed, the data from OctNov.vtf will be added to the file declared in Append to / Save As; i.e., AugSeptOctNov.vtf. Filters must be cleared. Execute the Append.
7. Once the Append is complete, AugSeptOctNov.vtf should have time data ranges from the beginning of August through to the end of October. AugSeptOctNov can be viewed like any other trace file. OctNov.vtf.remains unchanged.
This completes the section on creating appending two exsiting trace files into one large trace file.
To append one trace file to another trace file, without creating a new one...
8. Trace File Manager | Trace File to Append is used to browse to OctNov.vtf
9. Append to / Save As is used to select AugSept.vtf as the target file. When Append is executed, the data from OctNov.vtf will be added to the data in the file declared in Append to / Save As; i.e., AugSept.vtf. Clear any filters selected. Then execute the Append.
10. Once the Append is complete AugSept.vtf should have time data ranges from the beginning of August through to the end of October. For purposes of clarity it may be prudent to rename the AugSept.vtf file to reflect the data range; for instance, AugSeptOctNov.vtf may be an appropriate rename of the file.
11. OctNov.vtf remain unchanged after the Append function.
This completes the decription of appending one file onto another.